The house is quiet while I write this. It reminds me of eight years ago when I was trying desperately to control my breathing, working on everything I learned in class, staying calm and focused.
Things were so different then. I was different. Looking back now, I’m not so sure I really liked who I was or the journey I was on. I wasn’t ready. It was three weeks too soon. I should have known in that moment, that you would always do things on your terms. You live by your word. You are independent, brave and tough.
When you finally came, I discovered that you were also sweet, lovely and wonderful. You were everything I hoped you would be.
Over the years, you have taught me more about life than I could have ever imagined.
1. Your patience, compassion, empathy and kindness have taught me how to be a mom. You are teaching me how to be a better human being.
2. You stand by me even when I am making colossal mistakes. You always look at me with kindness and understanding. No matter how many mistakes I make, you always love me.
3. You have taught me about forgiveness and selflessness. You handle setbacks and disappointments with grace—a grace that was not passed down from me. This is something you have developed on your own, a true depiction of your character.
4. Your intelligence and beauty do not define you. Your heart does. You have an endless ability to give and an even greater gift of acceptance. I watch you do that. I watch you extend your hand when no one else will. I hear the kind words you speak that seem to always ease the pain of others.
5. Your quiet nature gives you a unique presence. People respect and listen to you when you have something to say. You have developed an ability to speak words that need to be heard.
6. You love your brother with a sense of devotion and passion that is rarely seen in siblings. I continue to learn so much about unconditional love from watching you with him. You have helped shape his beautiful character. Your actions are the reason he has so much tenderness and love in his heart.
7. I truly admire the love you have for your dad. It reminds me of how I was with my dad. It makes me so happy to watch your relationship with him grow stronger every day. I feel a sense of comfort knowing that the bond you are creating with your dad is unbreakable. He will always be the most important man in your life.
8. Thank you for loving me when I am not very lovable. In those moments when I am less than kind, you always tell me, “I love you, Mom, no matter what.”
9. You have taught me about humility. Your continued ability to put others first is demonstrated in every intentional step you take—every act of kindness you display.
I love you in so many ways. I can’t ever imagine my life without you. There is so much I want to tell you, but for today, I will just stick with “thank you.”
You have truly changed my life and continue to inspire me to be a better version of myself. I am forever grateful and so thankful that I have been given this amazing opportunity to be your mom.